Some helpful resources for practicing prayer and meditation at home. Keep coming back to this page, as new resources will continue to be added.
Faith at Home
- Virtual Stations of the Cross (you may recognize a voice in there!)
- A page of resources for families
- Worship in the home resources on the ELCA blog
- Here are a whole bunch of resources, including sleep meditations, that the app Calm has made available during this time.
- Here is a Coronavirus Sanity Guide from Ten Percent Happier that has meditations specifically geared toward those whose jobs or life situation has especially placed them under a lot of stress during this time.
Prayer and Faith Practices
- Here’s a PDF you can view and download that has three rich prompts for different ways to spend time with scripture.
- Create your own psalm — it’s not as hard as it sounds, and it can be a really satisfying way to take the full range of what you are feeling and experiencing to God in prayer
- Take a moment to do a Confession Body Prayer — we hold lots of tension and hurt and anxiety in our bodies, and this can be a great way to let it go:
- First, make fists. In your mind’s eye, put all that comes between you and God in your fists – all your sin and brokenness, all your stress and anger, all your fear and uncertainty, all your worry and doubt – take it all and hold it tightly right there in your fists
- Then, when you are ready, open your hands. Lift up these things as an offering to God. Allow God to take them from you, feel the weight lifting off of your heart. Let God forgive what needs forgiving.
- Now cup your hands in front of you to humbly receive God’s blessings.
- Close by bringing your palms together in front of your heart in a pose of gratitude toward God. Repeat this sequence as often as you’d like.
- This book — 50 Ways to Pray by Teresa A. Blythe — is a fantastic resource for all different kinds of prayer, drawn from many different traditions. Some of the resources above were also drawn from this book. (Available in paperback and Kindle)