Lent 2021: The Gifts of Discipleship
Week 1: February 24, 2021, 7pm
Welcome & Intro
Scriptures for this week
- Philippians 1:3-11 – I thank my God every time I remember you, constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you, because of your sharing in the gospel from the first day until now. I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to think this way about all of you, because you hold me in your heart, for all of you share in God’s grace with me, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. For God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the compassion of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you to determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God.
- John 20:19-23 – When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
Introduction to this week’s Gift of Discipleship:
To Live Among God’s Faithful People
Questions for Discussion/Journaling
- What does it mean for you to live among God’s faithful people?
- What has this looked like during the pandemic and what might this look like going forward?
- How do we remember that we are to live among all of God’s people — moving beyond just being in worship together on Sundays, whether online or in person, but truly living among God’s people daily?
Prayer of the Week:
Gracious God, we thank you for the gift of the church. We are especially grateful for those who have taught us what it means to be a disciple and Child of God, and for those who have modeled love, kindness, and mercy. Bless our church and guide us to be a model of faithful living today and always. In the name of Christ, we pray. Amen.
Voices from the Synod:
Lisa Kramme, Nebraska Synod Director for Faith Formation
Click here to watch Lisa’s message.